Sunday, June 30, 2013

Yarn & Foil Art

This craft has been around for a while, but I thought I'd share our take on it with glue, yarn and crayons.

Supplies you will need:
Repurpose one side of a cereal box
Yarn
School Glue
Glue Stick
Scissors
Crayons & Markers

My plan was for my 3 year old to create the design, but she had a hard time squeezing the glue bottle and was more interested in smearing the glue around.  I let her have her fun, then after she went to bed I created a design.

Step one:
I started by squeezing glue onto the cardboard & it looked like a snake, so I went with it.  I put the yarn on the glue gently, wanting the top of the yarn to stay soft, so the foil would go on smoothly later.  I let this part of the project dry overnight.  In the morning my daughter was excited to see what she interpreted as a rollercoaster, so we were ready for the glue stick!


Step two:
Roll the glue stick over the exposed card board.  The 3 year old loved this part.



Step three:
Cut a piece of aluminum foil to size & press on to the cardboard.

Step four:
Rub the foil onto our yarn lines; we used an old toothbrush.  It was gentle and didn't tear the foil.


Step five:
Sharpies work well on foil, but permanent markers aren't the greatest medium for young children, so we mostly used crayons, but I did let my little artist use a sharpie and a paint pen a little.  I played around with heating the crayon areas, but I don't think it added anything.  The crayons went on smoothly, brighter colors worked better than pastels. 



Tada!  Our finished foil & yarn project.  It was fun, I think we may try it again as a seasonal craft (pumpkin, flag, Christmas tree, Easter egg)...lots of possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment